There’s nothing more fun than being able to make and wear a new garment in one day. And with an easy upcycled sewing project like this one, you can totally do it, even if you’re a total sewing beginner.
Sometimes, if you’re anything like me, you just want to make an easy upcycled dress in oh, an hour, let’s say.
It can be so satisfying to transform a couple of tired old garments into a really cute dress or tunic that you can wear tonight.
Why make new, unique garments out of upcycled clothing? Let’s count the reasons.
- It’s planet-friendly – no explanation needed.
- You can customize your garment to fit you perfectly.
- Nobody else will be wearing what you’re wearing – EVER!
- You’ll be setting a great example to the world.
- It’s basically FREE – no shopping needed!
Easy Upcycled Dress Materials List
So let’s get started. You’re going to need:
- A top that fits you but you no longer love. It’s kind of cute, but it is too short, or clings the hips too much, or is just kind of “blah”
- A skirt that doesn’t fit or is otherwise not your favorite, in a contrasting or harmonizing color and pattern.
- Sewing machine
- Good quality thread (don’t skimp here).
Depending on the two garments you choose, your easy upcycled dress is going to turn out like this:
Or like this:
Or completely, 100% different. So grab your two garments and let’s get started.
STEP 1: Cut off your top to just below the bust, or to your natural waist, or lower or higher. It’s all up to you.
STEP 2: Cut off the top of your skirt, making sure the width of where you cut matches the width of where you cut off your top.
IMPORTANT! Make sure your bottom (skirt) is a little larger than your top. It’s just better that way.
STEP 3: Sew the top and the skirt together.
Done. DONE. Your’re DONE! Try it on! Let’s have a look! Share it in my Upcycled Sewing and Crafts Facebook group.
For a more detailed tutorial, try my Easy Upcycled Dress video tutorial.
Hugs and blessings, my adventurous friend.